Friday, January 29, 2010

The craziness of January!

Wow! Where to even begin. Emily's beloved ST isn't covered under our new insurance. Matt's company decided to switch providers from BCBS to Aetna. Well apparently Aetna feels there are enough in home speech therapists in our general area, so they won't pick up Amber's office. Really, if it's not one thing it's another! So we are now forced to either pay out-of-network costs, privately or find a whole new provider! I really have no other choice but to find another provider...as much as it kills me to.

With that said I guess I am going to look into the L.I.F.E Center. Its not too far away from where we live and will provide speech and additional services as needed. If L.I.F.E. isn't a good fit for us I am not sure where to even begin!

We are also taking Emily to a second Developmental Pediatrician. I didn't feel comfortable with the first. He really didn't seem interested in Emily and what was going on with her...just wanted to run tests. This new D. Pediatrician will take an hour and a half to two hours for her visit. She will be doing a consultation, testing (what ever she feels is needed) and results discussion. Of course we wont be getting in until mid March for this appointment but we are on the list for canceled appointments. I am hoping that we will get in a little earlier.

Unfortunately, we are see quite a bit of regression from Emily. She is having a hard time being intelligible even for Matt and I. Well, I guess we are taking 3 little steps forward and 2 big steps back! I think that is part of life with a Apraxic child.

On a totally different note...Cameron, Emily's little brother is going to be tested by the state for AzEIP (Early Intervention). I do not believe that he has Apraxia but he is severely delayed in speech. He is now 17 months with no real words. So here we go again! At least we are wiser and know much more about the system and how it works. It should be a really smooth transition and we know what to expect.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Alicia.

    I feel your pain with Aetna. I have them, too (unfortunately!) and not by choice since my employer decided to throw all of us under the bus and switch to them.

    However, after lots of fighting and phone calls and a long talk with one of their Vp's, I got my daughter's ST covered.

    I blogged about it as well. You can find it in a variety of posts from Feb 2009 thru Aug 2009.

    Hang in there.
    Don't give up.
    And please keep in touch!

    Apraxia sucks, but it does get better. IT just takes a lot of work!

    Pattie
    http://teachmetotalk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete